W. Houston Dougharty Ally Award
The W. Houston Dougharty Ally Award is bestowed upon an individual or group who have advocated on the behalf of LGBTQIA+ students with a social justice approach. Individuals may apply, or nominate someone else, for this award.
The nominations for W. Houston Dougharty Ally Award will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Recipient has worked with, or on behalf of, LGBTQIA+ students, including, but not limited to the following:
- Enhancing student life on campus regarding LGBTQIA+ equity, inclusion, or access;
- Mentoring LGBTQIA+ students;
- Using one's privilege to enhance the voices of marginalized populations;
- Community-building between student groups or populations;
- Recipient has challenged institutional barriers to LGBTQIA+ equity at Iowa State through one or more of the following:
- Policy development and advocacy;
- Peer education;
- Making changes to processes, facilities, or resources to enhance the access of marginalized groups;
- Recipient has demonstrated self-education about LGBTQIA+ issues and evidence of the integration of ally activities in daily professional & personal life.
Individuals are able to nominate themselves or others. To nominate an individual or group please complete the application through the link below. Nominations are currently being accepted. Selection and notification of recipients is conducted by a subcommittee based on the nomination qualifications. Awardees will be notified before the end of the spring semester.
All nominations must be fully submitted by Friday, February 1 at 11:59pm CST.
Interested in other scholarships or awards? Review additional scholarships and awards on Gender & Sexuality Equity Awards page!
Past Award Recipients
2018 - Dr. Kelly Reddy-Best
2017- Katharine Johnson Suski
2016- Recreation Services